Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

My boyfriend got locked up in June for child support. He didn't know that this child existed and hadn't signed no papers acknowledging it. How can they make him pay 500 back child support to get out if he didn't know and paternity hasn't been established. Actually it is the state that's trying to make him pay them back because the female started receiving TANF.

Asked on 8/22/12, 3:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, your facts as recounted here must be wrong, i.e., if paternity

has never been established, there is no way that the Commonwealth

could make your boyfriend pay anything back that had been paid

in behalf of this child, whether TANF or anything else.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/12, 9:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now