Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/16/13, 7:05 am

Division of child support took my refund to pay past arrears. IRS then took back the refund from division of child support because it was too much. Division of child support now tells me I owe 2000 dollars and also are charging interest even though the money is owed to them not the custodial parent. Should I have to pay interest?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/16/13, 2:57 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

And, why should you not? (I believe that DCSE like many other government agencies to which monies are owed, is permitted by law to charge interest at a rate not to exceed the standard 6% APR that is chargeable on virtually all outstanding civil judgments.)

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search