Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

My ex husband and I were divorced in Alabama, but we both live in different states now. He might pay 2 months of child support per year and calls our son once or twice per year. My current husband has been supporting my son for six years now and wants to adopt him. If my ex husband will consent to terminating his parental rights, do we still have to go to court in Alabama?

Asked on 4/18/13, 7:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, the step-parent adoption proceedings(which would include the termination

of the biological father's parental rights) would take place in Virginia

if that's where you and your son currently reside.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/13, 4:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now