Virginia  |  Family Law

PSA Wording -- splitting costs of ''necessary repairs''

I am in the process of a difficult divorce. In our draft PSA (still unsigned by either of us) it states that I am responsible for 50% of any ''necessary repairs'' made to sell our marital home. I have no problem with that.

My wife has chosen to let our daughter take her bedroom door off of the hinges and take it with her when they move. My daughter wrote on the door and wants to keep it. My wife is telling me that I am responsible for half of the cost of a new door to replace the one my daughter is taking.

To my way of thinking, letting my daughter remove and keep the door is a choice that my wife is making (without consulting me to see if I'd agree to pay half), not a ''necessary repair.'' My wife insists that her lawyer agrees with her.

I understand that I could try and change the PSA at this point but how specific would I have to get to prevent my wife from taking any other doors, toilet seats, etc.?

I am admittedly confused as to how taking a door of it's hinges by choice could be seen by the court as a necessity. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!