Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I have been separated from my husband for years...don't even know where he is. Can't afford $2500 divorce...can I legally change my last name back to previous last name without paying for the divorce? We did not have children or buy any property--we have no shared debt. Always kept our $$ separate. Obviously, if something came up, don't know what but it should be very easy to discover that I am still married to him. I just don't think of myself as married and want to be rid of his last name.

Asked on 8/02/13, 12:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you could file what's called a Petition for a Name Change (adult) in

your local circuit court.

Read more
Answered on 8/04/13, 8:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now