Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Virginia

fair use educational

U.S. citizen, living and working in Singapore, wants to use ''customer's reports'' (= mini book reviews) posted on Amazon.com and other websites, for 30-pp scholarly publication. Academic journal that publishes my work may be one published in U.S. or overseas; depends who likes the article. Whichever way that goes, journal will presumably be available worldwide. I will not be paid for this article.

So: who owns cyber-posted remarks when website is commercial and when it isn't; do I need permission from posters who provide names and city/state addresses (all U.S.) and do I need permission from sites?

Helpful: what laws apply to my scholarship while I'm U.S. citizen employed by non-U.S. university trying to publish in U.S. scholarly journals, info taken from the 'net?

And: what, finally, are the rules for ''fair use educational'' use of things other people (professionals or not) have posted on the 'net (not written elsewhere previously?

thanks -

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: fair use educational

I would not use the "book reviews" on Amazon for two reasons: One, many people believe they are bogus/written by shills; and two, Amazon is a very litigious company and might sue you even if what you are doing constitutes "fair use." I would look for the same type of material elsewhere. And the best way to use anything authored by someone else is to ask for, and obtain, permission!

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Virginia

Intellectual Property Legal Forms