Legal Question in Military Law in Virginia

hi, i have not been living with my husband since 2011 we have not filed for separation or divorce yet. but seriously considering divorce. we have been married since 12/2003. my question is would i be able to qualify for the 10 yr rule for a share of his pension plan. or do they deduct the two years we have not been together.

Asked on 8/09/13, 5:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William J. Holmes Attorney at Military Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will be able to receive a share of his retirement if you divorce. The 10 year rule only applies to whether the military will withhold your share of his retirement and pay it to you directly. You can receive a share even if you have been married less than 10 years.

I hope this has answered your question. Please feel free to contact me directly at (757) 420-9321 or [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 6:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now