Virginia  |  Traffic Law

I was stopped by Faurfax Co police in January 2011 for failure to stop behind the stop sign (I stopped a couple of feet beyound the stop sign to see oncoming traffic). The officer asked if I had any illegal subtance in my vehicle - I gave him a Blunt (small marijuana cig) he gave me a ticket. I was fined and my license was suspended for 6 mos. I am also to take 10 classes ( I could not afford it also until now and plan to start taking the classes next week). I could not afford to pay my ticket to obtain a restricted license and was stopped 3 mos later coming home from work by the same officer. He had no reason to stop me and knew my license was suspended - he took my license and ticketed me for driving on a suspended license. My court date is November for the suspended license. I have no prior record and cannot afford an attorney - what may be my punishment?

Answered on: 10/13/11, 5:30 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

DWS (Driving While Suspended) when the driver in fact knew that his

driving privileges had been suspended could be headed for some time

in the local slammer (if convicted of this offense).

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314