Washington  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/19/10, 3:38 pm

I own 5 properties "Tenants in Common" in Washington State with my brother and sister that I inherited from my mother 15 years ago. Since then, my sister has been collected all the rent and keeping it all for herself. Every month she claims the expenses are equal to the income. There is no mortgage on any of the properties. She refuses to turn over the keys or to share the proceeds or give us access to the property account (which is most like "Zero" anyway"). She doesn’t even return phone calls or emails. My brother has hired a high end attorney who has accomplished very little so far. After 10 thousand dollars we have gotten some discovery (One of the receipts she turned over in discovery was for a package of Trojan condoms) and he now says we need to hire forensics accountants to analysis the discovery before we can proceed with a motion. My brother has run out of money for now and this next step is a very expensive step. The attorney will not file a motion for our sister to give us access to the property or money until he has testimony from the forensic accountants.

I am jobless and homeless (living in my car). My question is can't I just have a locksmith change the lock and move myself in? I am after all the owner. I have no written contract with my sister ever to manage the properties and I do not even know who the tenants are.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/22/10, 4:10 pm by Ann Sattler

No you can't just change the locks. If there are tenants, they have rights. It is unfortunate that your brother's attorney has not done better after charging so much. If your brother and you want another opinion on your case, let us know.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Aiken, St. Louis & Siljeg, P.S. 801 Second Ave., Suite 1200 Seattle, WA 98104

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search