Washington  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/02/07, 12:14 am

Custody of child when both parents die, no will

My sister and her boyfriend had a child now 14 yrs old. Father not on birth certificate. While all 3 lived together, Sister died -1995, child remained with father and moved to Washington state. Father just died age 66yrs. The child would like to live with his grandparents in Minnesota. No Will exists for either parent. Uncertain what documents father had showing his legal custody. Need advice as soon as possible. Want to ensure proper procedures, limit complications, complete as much of legal work as possible in Minnesota. Child is currently staying with father's fiancee in WA until the end of school year. What actions are required for the temporary stay in June? What options & actions for grandparents custody of child after that point? Which state/county laws will apply?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search