Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

I am a USA citizen and I married in India to an Indian citizen. I have been trying to get a divorce for the past year but I have recently been told that he got the marriage annulled in India. I am confused. Does this mean that we r still married in the USA and I still have to fight to get a divorce here or do I just have to try to get a copy of the annulment in India? And if it is the later how do I get a copy?

Asked on 6/25/13, 2:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your marriage was legally annulled in India, then the United States will recognize that annulment. I don't know how you would obtain a certified copy of the annulment documents from whatever court in India issued the annulment, but I would suggest you contact that court and see what they require.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/13, 2:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now