Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

Can a person be found liable in court due to absence even if they were never served?

I just found out someone who delusionally thinks I owe her money was attempting to sue me. However, I was never served any papers for a court procedure. I heard from a mutual friend today that the person in question went to the court proceding that I was unaware of. She stated to the mutual friend that "I went to court today and she didn't, so lucky me." Now, I'm wondering, is it possible to lose a court case even though you were never served papers stating that you were being sued? And also, if the plaintiff lied and said that the papers were served, how do I prove otherwise? What course of action should be taken on my part here?

Ryan Nute Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.

Service of process is required for a valid judgment. If the plaintiff obtained a judgment against you, you may want to file a motion with the court asking for the judgment to be vacated. We'd be happy to help if it would be cost-effective for you.

Ryan

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms