Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

Can a person be found liable in court due to absence even if they were never served?

I just found out someone who delusionally thinks I owe her money was attempting to sue me. However, I was never served any papers for a court procedure. I heard from a mutual friend today that the person in question went to the court proceding that I was unaware of. She stated to the mutual friend that "I went to court today and she didn't, so lucky me." Now, I'm wondering, is it possible to lose a court case even though you were never served papers stating that you were being sued? And also, if the plaintiff lied and said that the papers were served, how do I prove otherwise? What course of action should be taken on my part here?

Asked on 5/21/10, 2:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ryan Nute Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Service of process is required for a valid judgment. If the plaintiff obtained a judgment against you, you may want to file a motion with the court asking for the judgment to be vacated. We'd be happy to help if it would be cost-effective for you.


Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now