Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

I am a u.s. citizen my husband is not. We been in the courts for 3 years now. Did fingerprints did application whats next. The latest thing we got in the mail is a letter saying a motion to administratively close proceedings, in the matter of removal proceedings. Then I got a separate letter a few days later saying, the DHS's motion to administratively close proceedings is granted. Because DHS does not oppose the motion, and the respondent does not oppose the motion, and good cause has been established for the motion. Can somebody please tell me what does this letter mean and what to expect at court?

Kripa Upadhyay Orbit Law, PLLC

The letter means that your husband is no longer in removal procedings. The ICE counsel i.e. Government attorneys have decided to close his case (I am guessing he has been in the U.S for a while and has no criminal record) This means that he will be able to continue to live in the U.S. for an indefinite period of time. You will NOT have any additional court dates so you can now file an application for him as the husband of a U.S. Citizen.

There is a new program that would allow him to file for a waiver against illegal presence in the U.S.

You should consult and hire an an attorney to help you with this process

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White

Without reviewing the full file, it is difficult to say for sure, but most likely this means the government has closed his file and he may now have an option to file for adjustment of status for him. You will want to have this reviewed carefully before doing so, however, as there may be some additional issues or considerations.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington