Washington  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/18/13, 9:38 am

I rent a house with several other people. We have a very good relationship with our landlord because we are excellent tenants - we pay in full on time every month, promptly notify them in writing of any repairs needed, etc. I have been on the lease for this residence for three years now. I recently reviewed our lease agreement and noticed that the rent listed on the lease for last year and the current year (rental terms June 2012- May 2013 and June 2013- May 2014, respectively) is less than it was for the first year I was here (June 2011-May 2012). We were unaware of this change, and have thus been overpaying our rent for 14 months. The landlord claims that this is the typo, and that we are to pay the same amount we have been, but from what I understand, we are only obligated to pay what is listed on the lease, and can request the overage (about $3,800) to be returned to us. Is this correct? Any advice for approaching the landlord with this?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search