Legal Question in Family Law in West Virginia

Moving Out of State

I have complete control & custody of my 12 year old daughter, i want to move out of state to Florida, is it legal for me to do this, can my ex-husband stop me from moving?

Asked on 7/05/99, 10:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

D Patrick Zimmerman Law Offices of D Patrick Zimmerman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Moving Out of State

No one has complete control, unless the other parent is dead. In Pa. if a parent wants to relocate in another state, a test is used by the court. The best interest of the child is the prime concern. Thus, is your move going to benefit you so that you are going to become a better parent-ie better job. Are you moving for spite. What is the relationship with the child and the father. What arrangements will be made for the father to see the child? What are the childs wishes? See your laywer, you may find yourself in contempt if you just move.

Read more
7/09/99, 3:36 pm
Henry J. Legere, Jr. Law Office of Henry J. Legere, Jr.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Moving Out of State

Contact your caseworker at the FOC. In most states if the move is to benefit the child and /or custodial parent and not to thwart the parenting time of the non-custodial parent, courts usually allow the move.

Read more
7/09/99, 5:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in West Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88283 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now