Legal Question in DUI Law in Wisconsin

I received a first-time OWI over four years ago in Wisconsin, where it is considered a civil and not a criminal charge. I completed all requirements and paid all fines. I did not notify my insurance company, as I assumed they would learn about it from the DMV (and also I was very embarrassed). As I did not request an occupational license while mine was revoked, I never needed SR22 insurance; my usual insurance was considered fine by the state once my license was reinstated.

However, my insurance company never contacted me about it, and my rates have only ever gone up slightly over the past four years (I am uncertain as to why they went up). I am a little worried: is it possible they do not know? Was it my responsibility to tell them? Will they claim I have defrauded them if I place a future claim? What is my best course of action right now?

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

I have never reviewed an insurance contract that required the driver to notify the insurer of a DWI. Most insurance companies only perform random checks of driving records. It is possible the insurance company is unaware of the DWi, but it is unlikely that you have any obligation to notify them further.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Wisconsin