Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

My son is 14 years old and has not seen or heard from his dad since 2005. Nothing. No phone calls, cards, texts or letters. I don't even know where his dad is, I have a general idea but no address or phone number. Can I terminate his parental rights? I only ask this because I am afraid if something happens to me and the state finds him, he will take my son away from my family. The people that have known, helped care for and loved him his whole life.

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

It is possible for you to terminate the father's parental rights, but not guaranteed. You describe what sounds like abandonment, which is one of the grounds to terminate rights. Because you are unsure where the father lives, it is important to follow specific rules for service of a termination motion. Once that is done properly, you would proceed with the actual evidence to terminate rights. The process must be followed exactly, so I highly recommend that you consult with an experienced family lawyer.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin