Legal Question in Consumer Law in India

I purchased a Tv from abroad, and bought it here when i shifted to india. It was provided to me with an International warranty card, with India mentioned as one of the country where it could be serviced under warranty.

Recently the Tv broke down, I called the service center and they are refusing to cover the repair cost under warranty despite the TV being less than one year old (still covered in warranty). They say they do not service International warranty Claim.

Can I lodge a case against them in the Indian consumer court since the tv was not bought in india, but still is covered under International wrranty????

Asked on 5/23/13, 11:02 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Setu Niket Curare Legal

Kindly approach local consumer forum for directions to repair /replace TV along with compensation.

Kind regards

Setu Niket



Read more
Answered on 5/23/13, 7:31 pm

yes you can file case in your local jurisdiction but dont forget to make party to your local office as well as foreign country office.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/13, 9:21 pm
Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

Many of the international brand names in electronics have set up joint ventures with Indian partners and have established operations in India. They refuse to recognize warranties issued in another country by the parent company. The stance adopted with the Indian company is that they are under specific direction that they are only responsible for servicing / replacing any product sold by their showrooms anywhere in India and with their name and address appearing on the Warranty Card. Getting the product repaired outside the warranty by paying the charges is recommended.


Read more
Answered on 5/24/13, 6:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in India