Legal Question in Family Law in Ethiopia

dear i am ethiopian i have forign wife non ethiopian we married legally in addis ababa and we have got a baby girl she born abroad and the baby girl having non ethiopia pasport ...but our relation has got failed but legally still we are hasband and what is my right to get the both are in addis ..but she is goining to move with the child so what is my right as a father...with the child relation

Asked on 9/19/13, 3:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dear Sirs;

Thanks for showing interest to work with our law office.

Just to brief you about us, our Law Office has been providing its legal service since 2003. For more information about Fikadu Asfaw Law Office please refer the following links.

As we can understand from your E-mail you have concluded marriage with a foreign national and have a child. But because your relation has failed you want to know if you can get custody for your child. You said that even if you are not together you still are legally married with your wife and didn�t conclude a divorce.

In Ethiopia family code there are no provisions regarding claim for child custody without getting a divorce. So the only way to get child custody by the order of the court is by getting a divorce first. Therefore, if the relation doesn�t work out you can petition for divorce to claim for child custody.

If you have further inquires please don�t hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Read more
Answered on 9/24/13, 1:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ethiopia