Legal Question in Family Law in Ethiopia

I am a foreigner married to an Ethiopian man for about 10 months. We have a 5 month old son. I am in Ethiopia on a three month tourist visa. I would like to get a divorce and return to my home country with my son so that I can work to support us. My husband and I both currently have no income and are living off of my savings. I am a licensed professional with the ability to get a good paying job in my home country. If we divorce here do my son and I have to remain in Ethiopia throughout the duration of the divorce process? Can I travel back to my home country with my son? What kinds of custody arrangements do the courts make for cases such as this? Thank you.

Asked on 3/23/15, 11:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tamrat Assefa Liban Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Offices

1. Please do not forget to extend your visa if the three months are getting over.

2. Is your husband agreed to the divorce and you having custody? If so, it would be very easy.

3. If your husband is not agreed to divorce and you having custody, some care will be due in approaching the courts. Getting a divorce is pretty straight forward and easy. You just need to express your unequivocal decision to divorce; it will take from a week to two months. You will also be give custody because Ethiopian Courts have a tendency to think it is in the best interest of an infant/toddler of up to 5 years to be with his mother. If no mention is made of your travel plans and you are given custody, it practically means you can go back home with your son.

4. You should be aware that problems will arise if your husband objects to your travel on grounds of him not being able to exercise his visitation rights. Is their any way that he can exercise it after you have gone back to your country?

If necessary you can write me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/23/15, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Ethiopia