Legal Question in Family Law in India

my husband is green card holder ,i m from india, we got married in 2016, this was our second marriage for both ,our marriage took place in gujrat, when i got married ,i had customary divorce [ragistered deed of divorce], my husband file pitition for me for USA , but US IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT denied our petition saying that i m not legally free to remarriage because i have no divorce decree, after then i obtained divorce decree from the court , since our marriage is not considered legally valid , are we good to remarry? before we remarry , what do we need to do with our 2016's marriage? do we need to obtain annulment decree from the court?

Asked on 3/25/19, 6:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sudershan Goel India Law Offices of Sudershan Goel - Advocate

It appears your husband has filed I-130 for you [beneficiary] with USICS and has received RFE to prove marriage. All you need is a marriage certificate. At best, you may need a "court decree" for annulment of your first marriage. You may not have to do anything with your second marriage except get it registered. However, it may be important for your husband to seek advice from an American immigration lawyer. I live in United States. I also coordinate with an immigration lawyer. Your husband may contact me for help.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/19, 1:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in India