Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in India

Respected Sir,

We Are Living In A Rented House In Dibrugarh District Of State Assam From Last 23 Years ....

And Now The Owner Of The Building Has Sold The Whole Building Without Even Before We Came To Know Its Sold To Someone Else ....

The Electric Meter Is In My Fathers Name From Last 18 Years And Now Suddenly The New Owner Has Increased Our Rent From Rs. 3500 To 5000 ....

What Should Be Do Now Legally As We Didnt want To Vacant The Place We Want To The New Owner To Discuss That We Do Job Of 9 Thousand Per Month Its Not Possible To Pay 5 Thousand Per Month As Rent He Told Then Vacant The Room And Go Somewhere Else ....

Please Let Me Know The Legal Procedure What Should We Do

Asked on 6/12/13, 1:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

The landlord is free to sell his property and he does not require to inform all the tenants about it. The Landlord - Tenant arrangement has come to an end and is abolished since 1985 (more than 28 years ago) and has given way to the Licensor - Licensee arrangement of an Agreement for Leave and License (ALL) which is for a duration ranging from 11 months to 3 years. You have no other choice but to pay the enhanced rent to the new licensor or face eviction.


Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 3:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in India