Legal Question in Personal Injury in United States

I hire a guy, (contractor) to do a job on my property to be specific: basement mold problem. of word of mouth, he told me he was licensed and insured, when contractor showed up at my house with his wife, suddenly or supposedly fell on my steps and bended one of his fingers, i cannot assured if that happen at my property or he was making it up. The whole event was very suspicious, so i contacted my insurance immediately to file a claim as the contractor drove to the hospital to be diagnosed, when guy came back from hospital, he was very persistent on finishing the job and showing me his bended finger, i asked him to go rest and if that was going to be covered by his insurance which he positively said yes. Well the fact to the matter is that a month later i received a letter on the mail stating that the guy was suing me for an injury that occurred at my property?. What to do?.

Asked on 2/16/16, 7:28 pm

6 Answers from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office also dba Glen Ashman Attorney

Assuming you don't sit on the letter and immediately get it to your insurer and have coverage, they will defend you and pay claims. In the future real contractors give you copies of their own bonds and insurance and license.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/16, 7:40 pm

You are indeed a very wise person to have placed your insurance company on notice immediately upon being informed of a possible claim. Forward the letter to your broker or insurance company by certified mail RRR. They will have to assign an attorney to legally represent you. No worries.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/16, 7:48 pm

Listen to these lawyers.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/16, 8:03 pm

Send copy of lawsuit to your insurer certified mail return receipt requested

They will hire an attorney for you or settle

Suggest you find a bonded, licensed contractor next time Might cost more but you do not need all these headaches

Good luck

770.985.6773 (answered 24x7)

Read more
Answered on 2/17/16, 4:11 am
Mel Franke Mel G. Franke, Attorney at Law

Turn it over to your home owners insurance agent as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/16, 9:57 am
Thomas Kenny Thomas D. Kenny, Esquire

Your insurance should cover it. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/16, 7:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in United States