Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

I have pled guilty to marijuana charges in the state of Alabama 600 $ in fines and court fees and I am unable to pay. I have done ever other little thing they have asked and followed the program they gave me. I was recently in court and the judge persists I have had enough time to make a payment. the thing is I just moved to this state about 3 months ago and cant find a job I have disabilities that make it extremely hard for me to get a job. I mentioned this to the judge he said I don't care I didn't get you into this mess. I have no way of paying right now what can I do I am being threatened to 90days in jail.

Asked on 10/09/13, 1:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Under Section 15-18-62 of the Alabama Criminal Procedure Code the judge can only place you in jail or force you to hard labor for 30 days (not 90) if your fine is greater than $500 and less than $1000. If you want to avoid jail time you should ask for an installment plan and making those payments should be your top priority. Or, you should find someone that is willing to loan you the money. There won't be any jail time if you fail to pay them back, but you will end up paying more money overall once you include the interest.

- See more at:

Read more
Answered on 10/09/13, 7:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama