Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Child support after 19

My husband's divorce reads ''child support starts on 12/1/04 and continues until said children reach majority...'' His oldest daughter just turned 19. His ex challenged our modification saying that we have to pay support until his youngest turns 19 (10 more years). We're paying 1/2 of college expenses also. Is this legal? Would a judge award her support for a child who is 19 and not even living at home?

Asked on 12/12/06, 12:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison

Re: Child support after 19

You do not pay child support for the child that is 19. However, do not be mistaken and think that means 1/2 of it is gone. You have to go by the child support guidelines to determine the amount. Also, if she did not go back to court before the child turned 19, then you do not have to pay any college expenses.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/06, 4:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama