Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Collecting on a Judgement

My husband and I took a former landlord to small claims court to try to get our deposit back. The judge awarded us the judgement but our landlord lives in another state. How do I go about collecting on a small claims court judgement?

Asked on 11/01/00, 12:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Blocker Walter l. Blocker, III P.C.

Re: Collecting on a Judgement

in order to enforce an judgment taken in this state in another state you will have to domesticate the alabama judgment in the foreign state. there are specific rules as to getting this done. however if your defendant owns property in alabama you may be able to execute on that property in order to satisfy your judgment. you must be careful that the defendant is the true owner of the property before you execute as there are penalties for wrongful execution. i will be glad to consult with you regarding this problem. call me or email me.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/00, 1:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama