Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

My ex-spouse is planning to move out of state, from AL to either FL or TX (she hasn't decided), and is taking my kids with her because that's where her current boyfriend will be working. I don't know if they will be living together, but that's her usual style. There are no decrees against moving out of state, but there is a decree against having an unrelated member of the opposite sex stay overnight while the kids are present. Will the court in AL uphold this decree and can they prevent her from taking my kids and moving in with her boyfriend or would I be wasting time and money to fight her decision?

Asked on 6/13/12, 9:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. Terry Gregg, Jr. Law Offices of Terry Gregg, LLC

Assuming she has custody, she is required to give you written notice and at least 30 days to object to her proposed relocation plan. The notice must be detailed and offer a proposed revamped visitation schedule.

Without knowing your personal lives or history, it is safe to say that a person in your situation (with no remarkable strikes against you) should definitely fight this.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/12, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama