Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Legal last name of newborn

I was married for 8 years. We now have a 13 year old daughter. The divorce was cordial. I kept my married name and have an established profession using that married name. Two years ago I remarried, never changing my last name to my new husband's last name. We separated after 4 months together but never legally got a divorce. I am four months pregnant by someone other than my estranged husband. Is there a legal proceedure for filling out the birth certificate and can I give this child the last name I use?( It is my first married name.) I will be the sole supporter. The biological father knows but is in agreement that he will have nothing to do with this child. Also, where might I go to get more information regarding this matter. Thank you for you time.

Asked on 11/05/00, 11:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Blocker Walter l. Blocker, III P.C.

Re: Legal last name of newborn

how you fill out the birth certificate is up to you. you can not state any fathers name or you can use the name that you have, however any action you take now regarding the name of the father may come back to haunt you later in your life or the child's life regarding parantage or child support. you should consult an attorney before you take any step like you are anticipating. call me at your convenience for further consultation on this matter.

Read more
Answered on 11/19/00, 1:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama