Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

I live in Alabama, I'm unmarried, and 7 months pregnant. When I give birth to my son, I do not plan to put his father's name on the birth cirtificate. And I will also be giving my son my last name. If the father or my child requests a paternity test, when it comes back positive, what will his options be? Will my child's name be changed? Will the father be forced to pay child support? Will it give his legal rights to his son? And will I then be forced to put his name on my sons birth cirtificate?

Asked on 5/05/11, 2:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randal Ford Ford Firm

if the father presses the paternity he would have rights for visitation, having his name on the birth certificate and you can stick him with child support.

You cannot get aid from the state (Aid to Dependent Children -ADC) without naming the father (the state doesn't want to pay if it can help it).

You don't have to do anything (visitation or otherwise) until the paternity test and/or a court order requires you to do so.

Say nothing, do nothing, and let the father decide what kind of man he is unless you want child support and are trying to make him take responsibility.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/11, 9:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama