Legal Question in Employment Law in Alabama

CAN I TAKE a lawsuite out on a person or company that promised me employment then changed their mind in alabama

Asked on 1/16/11, 4:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kyla Kelim Aging in Alabama

Maybe. If the promise was in writing, it might form the basis of a contract for employment. If so, I would suggest you seek an attorney in your area that specializes in employment law for a consultation. If not, then Alabama is a right-to-work state. This means the employer has the right to fire you (or not hire you) for any or no reason, and you can quit for any or no reason. The exception to this is if the employment decision was based on your inclusion in a protected class, which are generally race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age (from 40-70 only), pregnancy, or familial status, in which case if you believe that you have been subjected to discrimination, I would first contact the EEOC in Birmingham and get information about filing a complaint and then make an appointment with an experienced employment discrimination attorney who can assist you in filling out the complaint. If none of this applies, then unfortunately, in a right to work state, then you can be "unhired."

Read more
Answered on 1/21/11, 10:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Alabama