Legal Question in Business Law in Alaska

I was offered .... for a signed photograph, provided i accepted before the end of the month. i heard the message on 28 August and immediately telephoned the offeror on that day. There was no reply, so i left a message on their answering machine accepting the offer. they did not hear the message until they returned home from a holiday on 15 September. Am I in a contract? does the contract come into place when I sent it, or when he heard it? and are there any case laws similar to this?

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

This is Alaska? The reason I ask is that you use the "" sign (pound sterling), and use the expression "holiday", meaning vacation, both of which suggest you are in the UK. You have indicated you are in Alaska, so I will answer according to Alaska law.

Anyway, the answer is more-or-less universal. The offer can be accepted (unless specified otherwise) by the mode of communication in which the offer was made; in this case telephone. You answered by telephone and accepted the offer. At that moment, you had made a contract.

There are probably many case opinions which would back this up; it's a well-known principle. It is also in the Uniform Commercial Code, which is statutory law in most if not all U.S. states.

More Business Law questions and answers in Alaska