Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alaska

My mom died in the US leaving one property in the Philippines but no living trust or will. My sister who now lives in the Philippines wanted to sell her part. We are 7 sibling. My mother married 2 x, , the first husband died during the 40,s with leaving 2 children ( one died during the 70's). The eldest from the 1st marriage again now lives in the Philipines. The 2nd husband ( our father who is still alive) lives with us in the US. My mom died US citizen and died here in the US in 1997. Our mother and my real father were just lived in partners. So I believe my real father does not have the conjugal right for this property. Can you tell me how to divide this proprety between siblings ( 7). I asked attorney here in the US and that atty gave me answer that even though my mother died here in the US, the Philippine court will do the probate for this property. How long does this take and also do we need to be present ( in the Philippines) during the probate period? The title of the property is still here in the US. If my step sister ( the eldest and lives in the Philippines) wanted to take her share or wanted to sell her share to this possible and what do we need to make it legal for the rest of 6 children here in the US. All of us are at legal age...over 50 years. Please need your advice. Thank you.

Asked on 3/02/17, 11:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

As the American attorney told you, you will need to obtain help from an attorney in the Philippines.

Read more
Answered on 3/25/17, 6:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alaska