Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Arizona

I have a horse which is really my daughters. She entered a verbal agreement with her friends mother to keep the horse on her property and only pay $50 per month. The mother also entered into the verbal agreement with my daughter that she only expects the stalls to be clean and help around the property. I never signed any documents or talked with the mother in any of the conversations. I did pay the board and maintenance of the horse up to my daughter's 18th birthday in April. We had a falling out and she now lives on the property with the friend and mother. Her agreement with me and the mother was to get a job and pay all the horses bills.

I have now received a bill in the mail wanting over $450 with various charges which are above and beyond what was being paid.

Question: Since I have no signed contract with the mother and it was a verbal agreement without me being involved does she have any recourse?

Asked on 6/21/11, 10:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christy Thompson Thompson & Faas, Attorneys at Law

The question that needs to be answered is who owns the horse. The verbal agreement between your daughter and the owner is enforceable against the people who made the agreement, your daughter and the owner. It would appear the owner is claiming you are storing your horse on her property and she wants to be paid for these various charges.

If your daughter owns the horse, then this $450 invoice is hers to pay. If you own the horse, you might want to dispute these charges and negotiate with the owner of the property for the amount you want to pay.

If you chose not to pay, then she could claim ownership of the horse whether you or your daughter own it. I hope this perspective helps.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/11, 10:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Arizona