Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I am 60 years old and I have used the same spelling of my name for about 45 years. I have a college degree, a license to practice, credit cards and my social security card and all drivers' licenses have been in THIS spelling. All of my tax returns are with THIS spelling. The only document not reflecting this spelling is my birth certificate. Now, i am unable to obtain a drivers license in the state of Arizona with the spelling I have on all other legal documents. How can this be amended?

Asked on 1/23/23, 5:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law

You will need to get your birth certificate changed. This will probably require a "name change" court case and one hearing. It really is not a very big deal to do, just fill out some forms, pay the filing fee, file and then have your 10-minute hearing, probably remotely. Then when you get the minute entry (written court order) take it to the department of vital records in the state where you were born to get your birth certificate corrected, and take it to SSA, DMV, etc. Best of luck!

Read more
Answered on 1/23/23, 1:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona