Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Can I collect child support from birth mother?

I have a 2 year old daughter. The birth mom and I were only together once, but I had a paternity test to be sure and then put my name on the birth certificate. The mom has never had custody and has rarely seen our daughter. The mom wanted to put the baby up for adoption, but because the adoption papers were sent to my parents house and my mom opened them, my mom insisted that I keep the baby and she would help. So when the baby was born, my parents and I took the baby home and my daughter lived with my parents while I finished college. I was able to visit her about once a week during her first year. Me and her mom agreed to each pay my parents $100/mo for expenses as that is all we could afford. Now I have a place of my own and a good job and my daughter now lives with me. Her mom has only seen her a few times during her life, but refuses to keep paying the $100 a month that she paid while our daughter lived with my parents.

I can do without the child support, but it would be nice to have especially since I have student loans to pay off and her mom has a good job, I just want to be sure that I have sole custody of my daughter as I don't want her mother to ever be able to take my daughter away from me. I am scared that if I file anything with the court that I will lose custody. I live in Arizona.

Asked on 8/17/12, 5:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

This sounds like a case where we should discuss how to deal with the custody issue, parenting time and support. Call me at 602 462 1004 if you would like to come in and set a strategy to establish paternity, support and parenting time for her.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/12, 7:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona