Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I had a one night stand with this girl. She ended up getting pregnant. Her sister claimed she had slept around but I don't know for sure. It has been seven months since the baby was born and since then I have been in his life. She claimed I was the father since she found out she was pregnant. I never signed his birth certificate now here it is he is seven months and after doing my own research on her. I find out she had someone else sign the birth certificate and she went to public assistance to get child support from him. I asked her about it, and she stated "I only put him on there so I didn't have to look for you, that's it". What is the law in Arizona with knowingly putting false information on a birth certificate and asking for public assistance to get child support from that person on the birth certificate?

Asked on 6/18/13, 3:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carlie Owsley Walker The Owsley Law Firm, PLLC

You need to file ith the family court right away, and ask for a paternity test. It may not even be granted however, as there is a possibility paternity has already been adjudicated by the court. There are steps you should immediately tke to preserve your role as a parent (or potentially not). We offer free consultations should you have additional questions. 623-748-8973

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona