Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

If two people are not legally brother and sister and they get a judge to sign the paper that allows them to be can, the sister move in with her new brother even if her mom doesnt want her to?

Asked on 4/24/12, 6:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

No. There are no laws in Arizona that allow two people to file a Petition with the Court to enable them to become brothers and sisters. The parents of one of the parties would have to adopt the other person to enable the two people to become brothers and sisters.If the people are older than 18, an adoption would not appear appropriate since they are adults. If the people are over 18 they do not need permission from a parent to reside together -- unless of course they intend to reside in the parents' home.

Read more
Answered on 4/26/12, 8:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona