Legal Question in Bankruptcy in California

My mom filed bankruptcy and my car is in her name and now they are trying to repossess my car

Asked on 3/10/16, 11:22 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

You'll need to prove to the satisfaction of the court and the trustee that it is "your" car and you'll probably need an attorney. You might be able to work out a payment plan with trustee in order to keep it. Ask your mom if she has any exemption money left to protect the vehicle.

Read more
Answered on 3/10/16, 11:33 am
David Rausa D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law

A good look at your mother's bankruptcy petition is a good place to start. Additionally, if you can show that all the payments on the vehicle were paid by you, then the trustee may take a different position. Regardless, you should seek the advice of a local San Diego bankruptcy attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/10/16, 12:18 pm
Charles Andersen Charles Andersen, Atty

You should file a chapter 13 on the car right away. We do chapter 13's with no upfront fee's to file but the court cost. Charles Andersen Atty 619-272-8621 Please lease a message at least 30 seconds in length for us to acknowledge your call

Read more
Answered on 3/12/16, 7:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in California