Legal Question in Business Law in California

Difference in billing total

Can one use the Small Claims Court in a dispute over the difference in a billing amounting to $500.00 even though the total of the transaction is in excess of the Small Claims Court limit of $5000.00 (i.e.7500.00 vs $8000.00)?

Asked on 10/14/02, 5:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Re: Difference in billing total

It depends what you are trying to recover. If you have paid a bill that you believe was too high and are trying to get money back, you can go to small claims court provided that you are only seeking $5,000 or less. If you are the creditor and, say, need to collect a $20,000 debt which your customer isn't paying because she feels it should only be $15,000, then you are actually seeking the full amount and you can't get it through small claims. If the customer paid the undisputed $15,000 and you want to sue for the difference, then you can go to small claims court.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/02, 5:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in California