Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Apartment Damages

Im currently in a situation I need help in. The Apt. I just left is asking me to pay over $1000 dollars in damages. I told them that I wanted to see the receipts of the said items that needed to be replaced and they said they didnt have any. That neither do the companies they bought them from. They claimed the companies wouldnt have them because there too old. They said that they didnt need to show me anything to prove that they needed stuff fixed. The Apt. also took my $500 deposit. So actually Im paying about $1500 dollars in damage. The said Items that need to be replaced is the carpet, some counter tops and repainting of the walls. $1500 dollars seems like an awful lot of money to be paying just for that. Now, I said that I wouldnt pay them until I saw receipts for the said items. So now Im in collections. My question is, is this a little bit shady? I dont know alot of legal stuff, but this feels wrong. I feel I should be able to see what it is that Im paying for?! Right!? Can they do this? What should I do now. I would really appreciate any info, ANY! Since Im a full time student and the only Money I get is from school loans, I dont really have that kind of money. Thank you for your time.

Asked on 3/11/08, 6:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: Apartment Damages

If they were to sue you in small claims court, they would have to prove the expenses that they incurred.

Depending on when you left the apartment, the statute of limitation might have run on the supposed debt. Check with a local attorney or the law clinic on your (UCLA) campus.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/08, 10:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California