Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

How do I go about filing a third party claim on a judgment where I am the debtor. The collection agency levied my account which had my daughters,she's a minor, SSI payment in it and also took monies from a check that she just received as a graduation gift from her brother to help with her school tuition and books? I am aware of the form ej-160 for the exemption but the account has her money for ssi and the money for her graduation which I still have a copy of the check.

Asked on 6/18/13, 8:19 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You don't. The judgment debtor has no standing to file a third party claim.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 9:29 pm

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You cant but your daughter may be able to through a guardian ad litem but this must be done asap.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/13, 10:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California