Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California


I was served in the 4th of this month a summons. I tried calling the "Law Offices of Brachfeld & Associates Pc in Torrance, Ca. I was trying to settle this out of court, but they told me I didn't have enough money to put down. I know I have a 30 day period before I need to responed to the court. I''m not sure what forms I need to fill out. any advice...?



Asked on 8/24/09, 3:30 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Larry L. Doan Law Office of Larry L. Doan

You have to file an Answer in court and you can find it here:

However, be aware that it will cost you a $330 to $355 filing fee to file the Answer depending on the size of the case. If there's no defense to the lawsuit ("I cannot pay due to lack of money" is not one), and they're not willing to accept your offer of settlement, then it is usually just throwing good money and time after bad to fight something like this, which most of the time will just delay the inevitable. They'd rather get a judgment against you and then try to levy on your properties or do wage garnishment.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/09, 4:34 pm

I have been successful negotiating with that firm. However you must answer and allege affirmative defenses. Mr. Doan is much more pessimistic than I am as perhaps because I have come to acceptable outcomes in reducing the debt on behalf of my clients. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 8/28/09, 4:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California