Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Not sure if this can be conversion, theft or just small claims:

I had a person offer to check out my guitar and two bass guitars and and amplifier that kept cutting out while in use.

He was known to me as I had previously been to his music studio and photographed his band and even guest appeared for one song.

The instruments and amplifier were dropped off on March 17, 2016 as dated on the hand written receipt. The phone number he wrote on the top is disconnected.

About two weeks later he had one guitar and one bass guitar ready for me and I picked it up.

Then I kept getting calls from him at a different number that the other bass was going to require more money to repair and I had already provided him with $60.00 in cash.

I said to go ahead and it was to be another $40.00. He told me that he could not repair the amplifier. I said I would pick it up and find a repair shop.

He called on April 4th and 5th stating that I had to come there those days to handle this. I explained that I could be there later in the week as I had client appointments and photo shoots all day.

Never heard back from him. I dropped the items off at a gated community (his parent's house) and am not sure what to do.

As of today, I have not heard from him, called numbers that he had called me from, and left messages asking to have this person call me so I can avoid replacing the amplifier for at least $250 and another $250 for the bass guitar.

Does this go to the Sheriff's Department? District Attorney? Small Claims?

Asked on 5/05/16, 4:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joe Dane Law Office of Joe Dane

This does not appear to be a criminal matter. Small claims is the way to go. Of course, you'll have to get him served...

Read more
Answered on 5/05/16, 11:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California