Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

learning legal assistant

How would you request a victims rap sheet if the victim in your case is a defendant in another county's state. What agency are we supposed to request it from, the Police Department, the D.A., ect..

Asked on 10/05/07, 11:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


Re: learning legal assistant

Ask for it in your discovery request. If the victim is going to testify then you are entitled to find out if they have any prior convictions, prior misconduct or bad acts because it goes to the issue of impeachment. Look at Penal Code section 1054.1(e) and Engstrom v Superior Court (1971) 20 CA3d 240, 97 CR 484.)

Tell your boss to give you the CEB Criminal Procedure and Practice Guide. You'll find all this information there.

Good luck,

Read more
Answered on 10/05/07, 12:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California