Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

removing a felony from record

I am trying to remove a felony from my background check. It has kept me from being employed with several companies. I have completed the court's orders and completed probation about two years ago. I am trying to become a police officer but I need to find a way to clear my one time conviction!

Asked on 11/07/02, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: removing a felony from record

Good luck. A properly done, properly supported and properly based motion might succeed in getting the conviction expunged. You could then apply to civilian employment without admitting conviction on your record. BUT, most PD's do extensive background checks that will find the record; they all require you to disclose past convictions and arrests under penalty of purgery; most disqualify for prior convictions, whether expunged or not. Contact me if you want to discuss the process and costs of expungement.

Read more
Answered on 11/07/02, 4:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California