Legal Question in Education Law in California


I am representing myself in a lawsuit against a public entity which is CSU. The case management conference is on May 20,2014. I want to add additional defendants who are employees of the defendant for discrimination/civil rights and hate crime. I want to confirm if i can serve them or add them to the case prior to the case management conference. I am sure i can add defendant during the conference but to save time , i want to serve them before the conference. is it possible ? what form or process do i use?

Asked on 4/18/14, 7:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

You will need to amend the complaint to add defendants. You will need to bring a motion to have the court permit the amended complaint. There should be some examples of how to do this in your local law library. You are interested in the procedures of the California civil code for amending a complaint.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/14, 8:32 pm

The fact that you are "sure" you can add defendants at a case management conference (which is absolutely wrong) is just the most obvious example of why you need to hire an attorney before you completely blow your case.

Read more
Answered on 4/18/14, 10:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California