Legal Question in Education Law in California

I am the former President of a school club. During my time I raised funds for scholarship purposes. I am no longer a student at the school. Can I use the funds to hold a dinner for the club's volunteers? Is this legal? What obligations do I have if the account is solely in my name?

Asked on 11/12/11, 1:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

You are a fiduciary for the club, responsible for using the money only for scholarship purposes. This duty applies, even though you are no long a student. This means that you need to have your name removed from the account, and you lack any authority to disperse the funds. You could be prosecuted criminally if you violate these fiduciary duties.

Read more
Answered on 11/12/11, 6:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California