Legal Question in Education Law in California

My son was involved in a fight at school yesterday and had to receive emergency medical treatment - is there any recourse against the school or the other teen involved?

Asked on 4/04/12, 2:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

Yes, there likely is. However, you haven't given enough details. This is a personal injury type of case, combined with education law issues, e.g., lack of supervision by the school.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/12, 3:45 pm
Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

Why am I getting these questions thrown back? Whoever asked this question a year ago needs to clarify the situation--which has probably resolved itself. Yes, you may have a suit against the other kid who was in the fight because it may be the tort of battery/assault. Yes, you may have a claim against the school for negligence. However, if you've sat on your hands for a year and didn't file a claim under the California torts act within six months, then your claim may be expired.

Read more
Answered on 3/25/13, 6:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California