Legal Question in Elder Law in California

Brother wants me to take over responsibility of my 101 year old mother. Move her so I can oversee her care in a nursing home. She has has gallbladder and hip surgeries. Brother informs me he has to pay her outstanding uncovered medical bills and if he doesn’t he looses everything. I don’t want California after me to just take care of my mom. Am I responsible for her medical bills if I start taking care of her?

Asked on 2/02/22, 10:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You could become liable depending on how you arrange things with the care providers. If you do things right, however, you can avoid personal liability. How to go about it all is beyond what I can do for you in an internet Q&A format. I suggest you contact the county bar association in your county for referral to a qualified attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/22, 9:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California