Legal Question in Family Law in California

My daughter is 17 and there is a restraining order against my soon to be ex-husband. She wants to go to Ireland as an exchange student for her senior year. Will I need my spouse's approval for her to go? If I don't need the approval will anytime in the future I be in trouble for letting her go?

Asked on 7/31/16, 3:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

You will need his consent for her to leave the country. He will also have to sign off on her getting a passport if she doesn't already have one. If he refuses, you can get a court to order that she be allowed to get a passport and go to Ireland if you can show good cause (sounds like you have it) and he cannot show good cause for refusing.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/16, 12:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California